Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Drama at the Polls...

I had some drama at the poll election night. I was noted as a 'suspended' voter. When I in my nice nasty tone asked "Why?" , the little elderly lady told me "We sent you a card, and it was returned insufficient address". When I looked at the address they had listed, not only was it wrong, but they had me in an apartment that does not even exist in my complex. The street address was correct, they just had the apartment number wrong. I have lived at my present address for the past 6 years, I usually vote early, however, I have voted at my precincts polling station for at least 4 elections. I nicely let them know, that I might be able to understand the confusion had I moved since the last elections, however, that is not the case. They polling station judge came over they explained the situation, and he told them to have my fill out an address verification card...then proceeding to show me some rule book that stated if the address on the verification form is different from the one they have listed on the registry they would have to call the Call Center to determine my eligibility. The little old ladies then said “The problem is, we have not been able to get through to the call center”. I then said “If I can’t vote tonight, we are going to have a problem”. I went to vote after work so it was already 6pm. I reiterated the fact that I have not moved in the past 6 years, and I just voted at this same precinct in the last election. The judge then looked at the address on my verification card, and realized that it actually did not matter because the street address were both the same, the apartment number is what was different, and he said that was probably due to a data entry error on their end. He then told the little old ladies to qualify me and let me vote.

See I am not one of those to go quietly, but just think of how many people can be intimidated or easily discouraged in these situation. I’m the sister girl that would have called all the news stations, wrote to the local paper, contacted elected officials, contacted the local chapter of the NAACP, sent an email to Jessie…I’m just saying.

But it all worked out for the good. I was happily and proudly able to cast my vote.

2 comments:

X-Men said...

it's good that hassle didn't discourage you.

juiicySCOOP said...

Oh wow, yes I would have been irate with the little old lady, and I really would have acted my color is I couldn't have voted. That's sad, and the call center needs to learn how to handle business better incase any of these situations occur in the future.