Sunday, September 02, 2007

Are you ready for some football?!

I am! I was so ready for the University of Texas opener against Arkansas State. I went and bought my new game day shirt…I was ready for game day. Then I discovered, the game was not going to be televised…no Big 12 network affiliate was willing to pick the game up. So, it would have to be ordered for $29.95. So I called my friend to ask what she was going to do for the game. She said she might call some other friends see if they wanted to come over, and she would order the game. Or, she mentioned going to Pluckers to watch the game…ok, Pluckers I can do. Then, I call my sister and ask her what she was going to do for the game. She did not realize it was ppv either. So, we decided we would order the game and I would go in half with her. But…she later realized that she had to meet with her group for class at 6:30 and would not be home. After this revelation, I talked to another friend, who had a ticket to go, but decided against it. Said friend, has a friend that has season tickets because her mother is UT faculty. But this is the killer…said friend's, friend could care less about football, probably even more less about UT football, but she’s a season ticket holder. This ish burns me up. For some folks it’s about status…”Oh, I have season tickets”. Ask them anything about the game, and or the team, and they could not tell you JACK! Anyway, so I resolved to staying home, and listening to the game. I did not feel like being bothered with people out in public. Especially drunken people. Then, a friend of mind decides to give me a hard time, talkin’ bout I am not a true fan. So then, I felt a little guilty. So, I call my sister and have her call the brother –in-law (yeah, he’s not into football like me and the sis are), to see if it was ok if I ordered the game (Yeah, I’m cheap and I don’t have cable…yeah, yeah, yeah…I know). So, I get in the car, drive over to their place, and my nieces are watching Disney in the living room. I inform them that they will have to watch TV in their parents room (apparently they don’t have cable in their bedroom) because I was going to watch the football game. So, I turn it onto one pay per view channel (that I read was for the UT game), and there was another game listed, so I go up to the next channel, and there is a black screen. Next thing I know, South Florida vs. Who in the hell knows, game was on. So, I immediately call Time Warner to cancel this game, and make sure they would not be billed for it. I dial 512-485-5555, and the first thing I hear is, “If you want to order the TX game, go to channel…401”. “401, I thought…yeah, that’s not the channel that was advertised, either that or I can’t read”. So, I punch all the magic numbers to get to customer service, and hear, “Your call has been placed in queue for the next customer service representative”.
“Ok, how long is this going to be I think to myself”. Then I hear a ring and a recording comes on, letting me know there will be an hour to an hour and sixteen minute wait, and prompts me to enter my phone number for a call back. So I enter my sister’s number and I wait. Then here was my dilemma…it was not my account, so I did not want to go ahead and order the UT game, before ensuring that the other game was not being charged. So now, I am frustrated and beyond disappointed. I decided to go home, and then I called in again, to leave my home phone number. I chat for bit on IM, then I decided to go to Which Wich? To get me a shrimp po’boy, which was pretty good for $5.14. Anyhoo, so I leave, come back, start eating, and low and behold, Time Warner calls me back. It took the representative a minute to locate the account, for some reason phone number and address did not work for her…so she had to search by name. Then she informed me, that it did not appear that any games had been ordered and that there was glitch with the system. So two hours later, I realized…”I should have just ordered the game.”. Yes, I missed the Longhorn season opener.  Good thing is was not a good game, it was almost a bad game…we only beat Arkansas State by a TD. The final score was 21-13. Oh well, a win is a win. We just better be ready for TCU next week! My universe is off because I was not able to watch the game yesterday. I don't care what I have to do, I will NOT miss next week's game. Hook’em!

No comments: