Or so “we” seem to think…
If I receive one more email in my inbox with the title…
Free At Last
We’ve Finally Made It
He’s Gone!
Any of the above or anything like the above…I might just haul off and slap somebody.
Why so violent? You ask!
This is why...
This is what I was concerned about…we would put a black man into the white house and that we would think we overcome as a people.
Is this historic? Yes
If this something to be proud about? Most certainly yes!
But does it mean all is well for us as a people? No!
Does it mean that our communities have turned around? Hello No!
There is still work to be done!
And trust…if the “other” folks did not want him in office, he would not be in office…the black vote is not enough to secure a win…
And...
Dubya is not gone just yet...on his way out, and steadily placing laws on the book...everything he placed on the Federal Register by yesterday, will pretty much be impossible for Obama to oveturn...yeah, yeah, yeah...where there's a will, there's a way...but Bush is steadily putting is mark on ish...pissing on trees as he goes out.
I am hoping that this election caused us to educate ourselves on the political process…demonstrated the important of knowing the issues at stake.
I am hoping electing a black president would cause our community to unite, that new leaders would emerge, that the gangsters would stop and ask themselves why are they killing each other? That the drug dealers would see that there is another way…a better way? But giving the state of our economy, this may be easier said than done. Most crimes in our community are crimes of desperation (or plain stupidity)…and giving the state of our economy…more and more are feeling desperate.
I have to tell you, when I read the morning news about his plan to create 2.5 Million jobs by 2011, my stomach cringed…
Why did that make me a bit sick? (yes I am being overly dramatic)…but I will tell you why I am unsure about this…
Obama plans to create jobs by rebuilding bridges and roads, modernizing schools, developing alternative sources of energy and more efficient cars…
Hold the brake right here…
First of all, most roadways are maintained by the state or local gov’t…
Schools...again, mainted by the state and/or local gov’t…
Alternative sources of energy…one democratic issue of importance that I could care less about, especially considering I grew up in a town where a portion of our nation’s old reserve is kept…we need to tap into our own and stop depending upon foreign sources…also growing up in an area where there are more chemical, petroleum, and nuclear plants than need be…the thought of relying on nuclear power scares me…BIG TIME!
More efficient cars…look; those bubble cars are not the business! We are all going to look like clowns driving around in a damn Smart Car or Toyota Yaris…that’s what the hell it ain’t! Now if they mean things like developing cars with more Flex Fuel types of technology or something along those means…ok, I can dig it…but these light weight hybrid and fuel efficient cars…well, they are just not safe. Someone driving a Toyota Prius drove over a piece of tires in the road, and the entire front end of her car fell off. I drive a Toyota Corolla and that is bad enough…sometimes I feel like my car is going to be blown of off bridges driving on windy days.
Giving his plans above…how is our president-elect going to create new jobs by 2011…
By increasing federal spending…which will lead to an increase in taxes…
I don’t see how he can do all this while providing tax cuts? We will pay for it elsewhere…probably in toll fees.
And the items outlined are not going to do anything to secure jobs in the industry in which many of us are employed…yay for contractors and civil engineers…yay for toll booth workers…yay for nuclear physicist…but…yeah…
Ok…so know that I have finished my rant…well somewhat…
I just want to go back to the beginning of this message…
“We” have not overcome…Barack Obama has...or he has overcome the last hurdle placed before him, but there will be many more in the upcoming four years…
Now is not the time to become complacent…
Now is not the time to get comfortable…
Now is the time to step up and make a difference.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
preach mami.
i swear sometimes I am so embarrassed at how ignorant we can act sometimes.
its like some of us cant see pass the bigger picture. they think cause he was elected in office shyss is gonna be peaches and creams.
mami somebody needs to educate some of these fools out here!!!!
well said!
Black man gettin in office isn't a free pass to act a fool just because we have a face in the White House.
He made it in office but what most of us fail to realize is the fact we don't know what he's gonna do in there. All we know right now is that he is trying to surround himself with people who aren't gonna betray him. We won't know anything until he passes his first policy.
I wish we didn't lose sight of the present.
Post a Comment