Monday, February 23, 2009

I Lift My Voice

Lift every voice and sing…
My president is black, and I can thank Dr. King.
But long before he had a dream, our ancestors laid the foundation for great things.
There is no American history, without black history, yet it seems our contributions remain a mystery
So…
Lift every voice and sing…
For Bessie Coleman, the first black pilot…now that’s fly, And after her, the Tuskegee airmen soared high
Lift every voice and sing…
For decades before Oprah earned a billi, Madam CJ Walker made a milli
Lift every voice and sing…
For the very hands that labored in the fields picking cotton, Became the same hands to complete the first open heart surgery, Thank you Dr. Daniel Hale Williams for your brilliancy
Lift every voice and sing…
For Crispus Attucks who laid down his life so that the bells of freedom may toll, for those that followed the northern star, traveling the Underground Railroad to freedoms door.
Lift every voice and sing…
My president is black, and I can thank Bro. Malcolm for that.
He told us that a man that stands for nothing will fall for anything…he showed us how to stand proud, while the godfather of soul told us to “Say it loud.”
Lift every voice and sing…
For Dr. Maya Angelou, who tells us why the caged bird sings…Her words enabled me to rise, and walk phenomonally in my strides…
Lift every voice and sing…
For Thurgood Marshall, Barbara Jordan, Rosa Parks, and Coretta Scott King
Lift every voice and sing…
For they enslaved our bodies, but not our minds, our endurance has passed the test of times…
So…
Lift every voice and sing…
For Phyllis Wheatly, who through slavery created poetry that allows me, today, to stand and do me
Lift every voice and sing…
For Huey, Bobby, Angela, and Stokely…They showed us that we had power as a people…
Lift every voice and sing…
For 4 little girls who never had the chance to save the world, but together, you and me, we do…
That’s why, I, Lift my, voice, and sing…
The emancipation proclamation was our freedom declaration…
Free At Last?!
I’m not sure about that Dr. King, so I hold on to your dream.
But I do know this for a fact…My president is black…
Yeah…
My president is black, your president is black, our president is black…
And we can thank our ancestors for that.
We stand on the shoulders of Kings and Queens…
So lift every voice and sing…
For strong are WE, and mighty is our History.

Copyright © 2009 by kelic All rights reserved worldwide. No part of this may be used or reproduced in without the author's consent.

3 comments:

MsKayotic said...

Talkin about a way with words!

*snaps* *snaps*

Ms Sula said...

Wow! That was lovely!!!

miss_me said...

That was so beautiful. OMG!! You have a true talent for writing. I have something I would like for you to read at my spot when you get the chance. Again, beautiful!!!