I might lose a few friends behind this one...
but...
Storm season is upon us...
And...
Mr. Cool Black President Obama, made me look at my television and ponder...
WTF! He was on some George "Dubya" Bush ish...
Talking 'bout...
People that live in the Gulf Coast region need to prepare themselves...
Ok, I'm with that.
"Make sure you stock up on food, water, and have a radio"
WTF?!
Food, water, and a radio?!
That will not protect you from a tidal surge such as the one that came upon Galveston during Ike.
That will not protect you from the destruction due to winds of a category 3, 4, or 5.
That will not protect you if the levee system cannot sustain due from the force of the rising waters.
That will not rebuild homes.
That is not enough to save lives!
What gulf coast residents need is a sound evacuation plan...transportation out if there is an evacuation.
What gulf coast residents need is to be supplied with gas to make sure they will be able to fill up their vehicles and flee the potential storm.
What some gulf coast residents need is money to evacuate and to know they will have shelter once they reach their destination.
and...
What gulf coast residents need is adequate government support once the storm has passed and they are left standing and thinking, "Now what?".
I grew up on the coast, my parents still live there...they live very close to the water. So when I read or here ish like that...well, I get a bit perturbed. We have been fortunate, God had spared us from devastation. But we also don't play with mother nature...we've always evacuated. Yet, not everyone always has the resources to get out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Now Keli!!!
You know back in the day they used to say the same thing and it wasn't even Obama. It was some crazy ass white meteorologist telling you to stock up on food, water and take a radio with you like it was gonna work. I know it sounds dumb coming from the Prez but it sounded dumb then.
Don't trip. We all have our moments!
Isn't that a states rights issue? I believe that's the responsibility of the state of Texas, not D.C.
Don't get me wrong. The feds bear responsibility forbprotecting the citizens as well, but that doesn't kick in until after the state has declared it can do nothing else. Or once the feds determine that this is/was a catastrophe.
I only hope that this pres learned from the mistakes of Dubya.
Kayos: He's the president, I hold him to a higher standard than the media. I know why they say have a radio...but in some cases, you can't stick it out, and once the storm hits, a radio does not do the trick.
MP1: If it's a states right issue, then I guess ol' Dubya should be forgiven for all the issues resulted from Katrina.
Keli: Not saying that Dubya should be forgiven. The federal government should have been better prepared to help the folks in New Orleans. I'm just saying that the state was at fault just as much as the federalis. They were ill prepared, and possibly didn't seek help as fast as they should have.
I might be putting my foot in my mouth, so I definitely need to reassess what Louisiana did. They have a Republican governor now, and I'm guessing that the Democratic administration's handling of Katrina had something to do with Jindal being elected.
The feds need to assist and be prepared. I'm just saying that the states must do what they can first.
Then again, I live in a state that's rarely affected by hurricanes.....
I look at it like this...
It's less about what party dropped the ball, and more about what's right.
Our nation needs to be proactive, not reactive. The federal gov'n can come in after the fact, and declare an area a disaster area, THEN give aid. Why not allow states aid before it gets to that point?
Yes, it is the states responsibility...to a certain extent...what if the state as limited resources?
Louisiana was not prepared for the devastation due to Katrina, here in Texas, we were prepared for Ike, still devastating non-the-less.
It costs money to relocate for a storm? People miss work...and in certain cases, they return home to find that they are both jobless and homeless.
I am just saying, that WE need to do a better job...republicans, democrats...state, federal...WE need to do a better job of taking care of home.
We are always the first ones to rush to the aid of another country after a disaster strikes...
I feel that as a tax paying citizen you have a right to gov' assistance. I don't pay state income taxes, only federal.
Post a Comment