Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Lawd Help me Now!

Well, as those of you who visit my spot regularly know, I had the top and bottom right wisdom teeth removed last month. Juiicyscoop recently asked me “girl how are your damn teef doing”. And it reminded me of the day I had my procedure done. I have to pre-medicate (4 amoxicillin 1 hour prior to procedure) before any dental procedures, even for a routine cleaning. When I went in for my consult the Dr. gave me to scripts…one for a mouth rinse, and the other was for Vicatin. Which I never got filled. Baby’s a soldier, I don’t need the heavy duty pain killers, just give me some Ibuprofen or Tylenol. I had the prescriptions filled before my procedure because the last thing I wanted was to sit in Wal-greens and wait on a mouth rinse. I decided to go with a local anesthesia, so I drove myself to my appointment. My sister was on stand-by just in case I needed her to pick me up.

I arrive at the dr.’s office, sign in, and after about a 5 min wait, they call me back. I sit in the room for a minute or two and the dr and his assistant walks in. The dr. then informs me that he wants to prescribe me more Amoxicillin to take for the next 24 hours. I already have like 24 tablets at home, so there is no need for me to go get the prescription filled. They strap me up to a machine to monitor my blood pressure, and I see the dr pick up this long azz needle. He then asks me to open up wide, and informs me that I may feel a pinch. Well, he gave me a shot on the top, then the bottom and I did not feel a pinch at all. He then leaves me and says he will come back in a few minutes and advises me to relax while the anethesia kicks in. I was lying back, just chilling, then all of a sudden, that blood pressure machine starts beeping and the strap begins to tighten, and tighten, and tighten around my arm. I wanted to scream, I was not sure if this should be happening. The strap became so tight I thought I might loose a limb, just as I was about to call out, the strap begins to release…Close call! This goes on for I don’t know how long. Just like a Dr., no perception of time, a few minutes is more like half an hour…I’m probably exaggerating but it was more than a “few” minutes.

The Dr. Returns and he begins to probe around to make sure that the area to be worked on his numb. He is poking and prodding and asks “Do you feel this?”
“No” I answer.
So then he begins to poke and prod a little deeper. “Ouch!”
“Did you feel pressure?” He asks.
“No, I felt pain”.
The dr. chuckles and asks the assistant to pass him another one of those long needles. He administers more anesthesia and we’re good to go. Remember sister girl is a soldier, so I did not need to be under for this…No big deal, they are only breaking my tooth from the root in order to remove it, I was awake and I was going to keep my eyes open during the entire process…Right! The dr. asks his assistant to hand him an object. All I can see is her past him this huge screw driver looking thing…then it hit me. That is a big blunt object…he is going to have to grind that into my tooth to break the root…”Lawd Jesus Help Me!” I remember calling out to Jesus, I just don’t know if I said it to myself or if I said it out loud. I was suddenly a big chicken…”cluck, cluck”.

All in All things were not bad. A piece of root fragment broke off during the process of removing the bottom tooth, so he had to poke and prod around down there longer than anticipated. A couple of times he hit a nerve causing me to feel pain on the left side of my mouth, and at times the procedure caused me to feel that my head might actually pop off.

“All Done”. I hear him say as he sticks gauze in my mouth and asks me to bite down gently.
“Thank you Jesus!” I say.

His assistant came, told me how to care for my mouth, gave me instructions, and sent me on my way. On my way out of the room, I stop and look in the mirror…why there was a mirror there I don’t know. Why did your home-girl look like a chip-munk. I so looked as if I was trying to store food for the winter…very reminiscent of Gina on that “Martin” episode…”The dr. hit a nerve with the Novocain. LOL.

So I leave and go to Wal-greens to fill my anti-biotic prescription. Why I don’t know, I already had tablets left over from my pre-med prescription. I call my mother to let her know that everything was ok, and I was now on my way to Wal-greens and I would call her once I got home. I enter Wal-greens and of course people are looking at my like I am boo-boo the fool. They are probably wondering…”Is it safe to be around her”. I then have to attempt to talk to the pharmacy tech as I drop off my prescription. I decide to wait for it to be filled because I am not trying to come back later. There is a lady that is already sitting in the waiting area, and she looks at me like “Please don’t come sit by me!”. I can’t help but laugh a little bit, because I would have done the exact same thing! As I am waiting, my sister calls me to see if everything is ok, but then she begins to ask questions and try to hold a conversation…she needs to get her wisdom teeth removed, but she is too chicken…yeah, I’m talking about you. Anyone that knows me, knows that my mouth moves non-stop, however, this was a time that I was not even trying to talk.

Once I get home, I take me a couple of Tylenol, b/c the anesthesia was beginning to wear off a little and went to sleep. For the first 24 hours I needed to use the cold compress to control swelling and bruising, but I was not hearing that right now…I was trying to go to sleep! So for the first 24 hours afterwards my schedule was sleep for four hours, wake up, apply cold compress, take ibuprofen, drink Slimfast, take anti-biotic, go back to sleep. The swelling went down fairly quickly and I had no bruising what so-ever. I did not develop dry sockets, and your girl is good to go!

1 comment:

juiicySCOOP said...

Oh LORD, you made this sound soo damn painful!! But I'm glad it's all taken care of!!